Field School Commemoration
June 8, 2014
The community celebration on June 8th was a last chance to see the Field School before
its demolition this summer. A committee formed by the school department planned an afternoon of activities
including an exhibit of photos and memorabilia from the collection of the Weston Historical Society.
Pam Fox gave a short slide lecture on the history of the school.
The images below were captured at the event.
The End is Near
Field School will be demolished this summer. The Modern-style building has served the town for 64 years
since opening in January 1950. It was the first of Weston's five post-World War II schools,
built to accommodate the burgeoning school population now known as the "baby boom."
The architect, Weston resident Harold Willis, used the Modern style, in part as a cost-saving measure.
Originally designed as an elementary school, architectural plans were quickly re-adapted for high school use
after the existing Weston High School (now Brook School Building C) was gutted by fire in April 1948.
Click here for a history of the Field School. Additional information can be found in the Spring 2007 Weston Historical Society Bulletin.
Henderson House For Sale
A significant Weston landmark is now on the market. Northeastern University, owner of the magnificent
Tudor-style Edward R. Peirce House (also known as Henderson House) has listed the 10-bedroom, 16,463-square-foot
mansion for $7,795,000. The hilltop property encompasses 5.62 acres.
The Peirce House is the only remaining Tudor estate house in Weston and one of the most significant of about a dozen remaining estate houses in Weston. It retains a wealth of architectural detail, both inside and out.
The present house is the second to be built on the site, replacing a 1903 mansion of similar style built for Arthur Winship Clapp. Edward Peirce bought the Clapp House in 1908. On New Year's Day, 1925, while Mr. and Mrs. Peirce were in California for the winter, fire destroyed the former Clapp House. It was rebuilt using a similar floorplan and style. Below are photographs of the original 1903 house and the rebuilt 1926-28 version. Notice the similarities and differences.
Click here for additional history and images of Henderson House, or navigate to the Henderson House page via the Discover Weston page and clicking on Places.
A Weston TimelineFor the 2013 Tercentennial, the Weston Historical Commission has published A Weston Timeline by Pamela W. Fox, a 46-page color illustrated booklet produced in cooperation with the Weston Historical Society.
Click here for previous "WHAT'S NEW?" features.